Energizing Nutty Muffins
These Energizing Nutty Muffins are the perfect way to fight off the post-mini-vacation blues. I was away in Florida this past weekend visiting my amazing nephews, sister, and brother-in-law. It had been a while since Rob and I have seen them and it was the perfect weekend. I even convinced Arthur, my 5 year old nephew, to try broccoli! When we arrived back in New York, I was a bit blue, and decided to improvise in the kitchen to take my mind off how much I miss my family in Florida. These muffins are the result of that kitchen improvisation! They are delicious, nutritious, added sugar free, and perfect for busy mornings. The frosting is optional, but definitely worth trying for some extra sweetness. Try them out and let me know what you think!
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds (for chia egg)
- 1 cup mixed nuts (cashews, almonds, pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1 Tbsp coffee flour
- 2 Tbsp hemp protein (I love Nutiva!)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 Tbsp full fat coconut milk
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 1 Tbsp almond butter
- 1 tsp coconut oil (for greasing the muffin tin)
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 pitted dates
- 2 Tbsp cashew milk
- Start by making the chia egg: combine 1 Tbsp chia seeds with 3 Tbsp water in a small bowl and let sit.
- If making the frosting, soak the cashews in hot water! Soaking them for over an hour yields the best results.
- Place 3/4 cup of the mixed nuts into a blender and blend until the mixture resembles a chunky flour. Place the nut flour, the remaining nut mix, rolled oats, oat flour, coffee flour, hemp protein, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt into a bowl. Stir to combine.
- Add coconut milk, mashed bananas, almond butter, and chia egg to the bowl. Stir to combine.
- Grease the muffin tin with coconut oil and transfer the batter evenly into the tin.
- Set the oven to 350F and place the muffins in the oven to bake for about 20 minutes until risen and cooked through.
- While the muffins are baking, combine the frosting ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Once the muffins are finished baking, take a moment to enjoy the enticing smell of these delicious homemade muffins before eating! Top with the frosting and enjoy!