At afternoon tea at the Goring Hotel in London, Rob had a Coronation Chicken Salad Sandwich. It looked and smelled like heaven. I knew that I wanted to make a plant-based version when we returned to New York and I finally did! This recipe is filled with plant-based protein from the tofu, cashews and almonds, hemp seeds, and even the sweet potato! The Japanese sweet potatoes and the raisins bring the sweetness and the myriad of spices bring the heat. Altogether this is a comforting and satiating meal that Rob has requested make a regular appearance in our weekly meal preparation. Try it and let me know what you think! (Zero waste ingredients: cashews, almonds, sweet potatoes, coconut, hemp seeds, ginger, lemon. I’m still trying to find zero waste tofu.).
- 1 block extra firm organic tofu
- 2 large Japanese Sweet Potatoes
- 1 heaping cup of cashews
- 3 Tbsp shredded coconut
- 1.5 Tbsp tamari
- 1.5 Tbsp curry powder
- 4 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 Tbsp Garam Masala
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbsp hemp seeds/hearts
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- Salt & pepper
- Start by soaking the cashews. Cover the cashews with water and set aside.
- Drain the tofu and place the block of tofu between two plates with a weight on top. This removes excess water from the tofu.
- Chop the Japanese sweet potatoes into 1 inch cubes and steam them until cooked through (~15 minutes).
- Chop the tofu into 1 inch cubes and place on a baking sheet. Mince the ginger and mix it in with the tofu and 2 tbsp of lemon juice. Bake at 350F for about 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- While the tofu and potatoes are cooking, make the coronation sauce. Combine the cashews, 2 tbsp lemon juice, 2 tbsp coconut shreds (save 1 tbsp for garnish), curry powder, cinnamon, Garam Masala, cayenne pepper, hemp seeds, water, salt and pepper in a blender and blend until smooth.
- When the tofu and potatoes are done cooking (soft, but not overcooked), transfer both into a large bowl and mix in the coronation sauce.
- Top with raisins, coconut, and slivered almonds.
- Take a deep breath and enjoy!